Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013's Top Ten

Well my friends, the year is about to end, and it is time to reflect and give thanks for all the good things that brought us this year.  For me, 2013 was full of great birding and non-birding moments... trying to list them all is impossible, so I chose the ten best moments to share with you.  

10.  Finishing my specialty in Gastroenterology and Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, after six years if I include those years studying Internal Medicine... it is said that physicians never finish studying.
09.  Moving to our new apartment, in a newer and safer area of Panama City with more green areas.  I already beat my previous balcony list... so far I have recorded 89 bird species from our new apartment!
08.  Finding my long desired Silver-throated Jay above El Respingo, thanks to my friend Ito.  Getting a  life bird in Panama is harder each time!
07.  The exceptional birding day at the former Tocumen marshes with my pal Osvaldo Quintero, finding eight duck species (including my life Northern Pintail) plus two vagrant Long-winged Harriers, among others.  Here a link to my eBird checklist with photos.
06.  Meeting and sharing with young gastroenterologists of the Americas in Cordoba (central Argentina) during the Course of Gastroenterology and Digestive Endoscopy for Young Gastroenterologists (september 6th).
05.  Celebrating our 5th anniversary... 5 years full of joy and happiness... I'm a very lucky man!
04.  My strenuous trip to Cerro Pirre (eastern Panama), full of endemics and range-restricted birds, but also extremely physically-demanding given the short time available.
03.  Finding recently a Bonaparte's Gull in Panama City's waterfront.  Not a life bird, but an extremely rare vagrant to Panama and a great addition to my country list!
02.  Finding the Argentina's endemic Salinas Monjita thanks to my friend Jorge Martín Spinuzza (avespampa.com).  Certainly the most memorable trip for the year, full with life birds and endemics... and possible only thanks to Jorge's kindness.  I'll be eternally grateful and hope to one day give back the kindness.
01.  Seeing my little Gabrielle excited after finding her gifts under the Christmas tree in the morning of December 25th.  PRICELESS!
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2014!  These were my best moments for 2013... what were yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment