Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Aguadulce in Carnavales

Yesterday, taking advantage of the early high tide, I went to the Aguadulce Salinas (saltflats) with my camera. Trust me or not, the mosquitoes were taking advantage of the chilly air too and, despite of the tons of shorebirds and waders in the ponds, I was unable to take pictures because of them. Anyway, I managed to take some shots through the car's window. This time, the Roseate Spoonbills were too far away for my camera, while a flock of Wood Storks flew heading inland. There were lots of sandpipers, including Semipalmated, Least and Western Sandpipers, few Solitary Sandpipers with Lesser Yellowlegs and Short-billed Dowitchers. The warm light of the mourning gave a brownish look to my pictures (rather than grayish). Also, at the ponds, were Black-necked Stilts, Whimbrels and Willets. Among the waders I saw Great Egret and Great Blue Heron. At the mangroves, I heard and then saw a White-winged Dove and a Gray-necked Wood-Rail, both were year-birds. I only stayed for an hour or so. Then, back in Penonome, I enjoyed the last day of the Carnavales with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment